New AI Action: Find all highlights
This week we’re introducing a new AI Action called
Find all highlights.It will seek out the parts of your project that best represent the throughline of your content.
This action is perfect for creating supercuts of your long-form content, or it can be used as a more thorough alternative to
Find good clips.Whether you’re trying to my a podcast highlight reel for YouTube or just trying to boil down that 3-hour sync meeting into something more digestible,
Find all highlightsis your new production buddy.
AI Edit Actions: Now with Deletion
Our AI Edit actions
Edit for clarity…and
Remove retakesare getting a quality of life update. After looking over suggested edits and applying them from
Edit for clarityor
Remove retakes, we now offer an easy follow-up action labeled
Accept all deletionsto quickly clean up your script by removing all ignored media.
- Pasting video into an audio-only composition will ask if you'd like to convert the composition to video. If you intend to keep working in an audio-only state, you can just click the X to dismiss the prompt.
- A while back, we added a Default setting for Publishing privacy to Drive Owner settings. This was defaulted to Public for new Drives. This has been changed so that new Drives will default to “Anyone with Link” also known as Unlisted.
Signing in with the Wrong Email
We have resolved a problem that some users have encountered: if you sign in with the wrong email address, the app will treat it like a new user signup and you have to click through the onboarding steps including a plan level. This was confusing users who had already purchased a plan. While you could always select Free, then logout and log back in with the correct email address - we’ve added a Switch Account option to the drop-down in the upper right corner as an escape hatch if you end up signing in with a new email address by mistake.
White Glove Sunset Update
As mentioned a few weeks ago, White Glove transcription has officially been disabled.
- Fixed a long-standing issue with Alphanumeric sorting in the Media Library. Files starting with a number should now be sorted more intuitively.
- Fixed several bugs related to pop-over menus and icons when using smaller-size project windows.
- Fixed some issues with using Ignore on Wordless Media blocks.
- Fixed a bug in which Duplicating to a New or Existing Composition resulted in unexpected layer placement.
- Fixed a bug causing an error when removing filler works near Wordless Media Blocks.
- Fixed a bug preventing the media library from being opened when viewing a project's Version History.
- Fixed a bug causing extra or hidden layers to published pages.
- Fixed an issue with the sensitivity of clicking and dragging clips in Sequence files, causing them to move when it wasn’t expected.
- Fixed two bugs causing Templates to apply audio or video incorrectly in some projects.
- Fixed a bug that prevented right-click from working on Drive view on Windows devices.
- Fixed a bug causing an error when trying to use 4K video as a thumbnail during publishing.
- Fixed an issue with transcription failing to resume after pausing a screen recording.
- Fixed a bug causing a “Timestretcher” error when exporting.
- Fixed an issue where imported or replaced transcripts would create blank spaces in the script.
- Fixes an issue that allowed users on outdated versions of Descript to edit projects with a higher version number. This was causing some edits to not be saved.
- Fixes a bug where speaker labels could not be added to the script and errant Detecting Speaker headers were appearing in the Script
- Reverts changes to the selection toolbar
- Fixes an error when applying a template containing a hidden script layer and a text layer that uses a custom font.
New Stock Voice
Our Stock Speaker library continues to grow, and this week we’re adding a new pal to the mix, Robert. We’ve labeled this voice as a Casual, Older, Masculine character.
We will continue growing the Stock Speaker collection throughout the year and have some other AI voice surprises in store so keep your eyes and ears peeled.
Text layers can now have different properties between Scenes, so you can use a different font or styling between sections of your project. When you select a full layer with multiple properties, you’ll see the word Mixed in the Font and Style section, and you can select any scene to see its scene-specific properties.
You can select the properties for a layer within an individual scene by clicking the layer in the Canvas during the desired scene.
This update pairs well with the recent launch of the Timeline Redesign available with Descript Labs, which improves the visual clarity of the Timeline.
Speaker Labeling Updates
The Speaker Label menu has been improved with some changes the Replace Speaker option. We moved it to a button under the ellipses […] menu, with a popout to Create or Select a different speaker in the project. You no longer have to type into the Speaker Label box to reveal the option.
In addition, we collapsed the Speaker label color picker into the ellipses […] menu next to the Speaker name.
AI Summarize can sum it all up
We’ve given AI Summarize a big boost and it can now handle compositions of
anylength. If you ran into issues with Summarize failing on longer compositions, you should give it another try now.
Quick Recorder issues when using Screen Time on MacOS
We’ve caught a bug that causes MacOS Screen Time app to erroneously report the QR app as active when it’s just enabled in the background. We think the issue is with the Screen Time app, and have reached out to the developers to find a solution. We will post updates here when they are available.
- Fixed a bug causing Wordless Media dots to appear in the wrong location
- Fixed an issue with copy and paste preventing Word Gaps and Scenes from pasting into a blank composition
- Fixed an issue preventing Add Gap Clip from working after right-clicking some clip boundaries
- Fixes an issue that prevented an animation's first keyframe from being updated
- Fixes an issue that prevented removing filler words near Wordless Media
Introducing Descript Labs
Starting in v82, Descript users will be able to opt-in to preview versions of new and upcoming features. The first Descript labs will feature our upcoming redesign of the Timeline experience.
Just navigate to
Settings → Generaland check off any features you’d like to try out. You can leave us feedback about the feature by clicking the Leave Feedback button under the Labs heading in your Settings menu.
The new Timeline experience comes with:
- Increased visual feedback and clarity on layers
- More power and flexibility
For full details on both Labs and associated test features, please visit our Help Center.
- This patch also fixes an issue that prevented some users from loading the web app.
- Fixes a bug that would prevent edits in a small number of projects after using Regenerate.
Quick Recorder gets a major upgrade on MacOS
The Quick Recorder is an easy-to-access and instant-to-use way to record a thought, send a video message, and generate content on the fly.
Starting today on MacOS (
and coming soon to Windows) - the Quick Recorder has leveled up.
We have made improvements to:
- Reliability: the recorder will fail less often, and we’ve made improvements to data recovery when recording is interrupted by hardware or software issues.
- Speed: The Quick Recorder now begins uploading your content while you are still recording. When you press Stop, we’ll take you straight to the published share page and playback is available immediately. (There may still be a small delay for Quick Recordings with Studio Sound applied, but support for instant playback on Studio Sounded recordings is coming soon.)
There are two modes:
- Record and Share: Takes you to the Share page with the full video available when you hit Stop.
- Record and Edit: Takes you to a full Project containing the video when you hit Stop.
This also means that we no longer offer a Quick Editor - instead, you can click the Edit button to open a normal Descript project with your Quick Recording.
Reminder: In a recent update, we added a Default publishing privacy option to the Settings menu. We recommend choosing a setting due to the new features.
We have noticed a bug that can occur when you publish Privately. The video will flicker until the upload has been completed in our backend. The issue will go away after that and a fix is in the works.
AI Action Updates
- Find Good Clips is now a lot faster, works more reliably, and you can prompt it with the number of clips, duration per clip, and topic you want it to focus on. If you tried it in the past, now's a great time to give it another shot.
- We’ve added the ability to adjust the volume of Gap Clips with Room Tone in Sequences. This will adjust the volume of all Room Tone clips within the Sequence.
- We’ve cleaned up the Speaker menu by removing the redundant text labeling AI speakers under the Add AI speaker to project header
- Highlight colors have been renamed for simplicity and clarity:
Sand → Yellow
Rose → Red
Salmon → Orange
Mint → Green
Seaglass → Blue
Violet → Purple
- Added a Red Dot indicator when a Filter or Sort option is in use within the Media Library.
- Replacing a file with Studio Sound enabled will now retain your Intensity setting.
- Fixed a bug causing the playhead position to jump when adding Animations
- Fixed a bug resulting in pasted media appearing as blue Text-To-Speech
- Fixed an issue resulting in various errors when copying and pasting between Compositions
- Fixed a bug in which new Scenes are added at the same timestamp as existing scenes
- Fixed an issue with automatic scrolling on Descript Share page transcripts
- Fixed an issue resulting in "Failed to apply template: Component does not exist on track” error message when applying a template to a scene
- Fixed some issues causing a false “No Results” error when using Stock Media search
- Fixed an issue causing Transcript to appear on Share page embeds even when Show Transcript is disabled
- Fixed an issue with Speaker Labels not appearing when applied to a blank line before a speaker change
- Fixed an issue for Enterprise Drive Admins who were unable to move certain projects
A previous version of this changelog mentioned the new Descript Labs feature prematurely. This feature should launch within the next 48 hours.
- Fixes a performance issue that had a persistent impact on all Descript windows
Note: Due to an error on our end, some users may have received version 82 early instead. If you see version 82.1.0 under About Descript, please reinstall the app.
You may also need to revert changes on projects that were opened while having 82 installed if you encounter a Version mismatch error message. Click here for exact steps.
If you continue having trouble, please contact us.